Sunday, April 1, 2007

Grandpa Reimer!

I am so glad that Emma reminded me about Grandpa! She just had to bring out all those feelings that go along with losing grandparents. Grandpa Braman is the only parent we have left for my parents. I tell ya that is one weird sad feeling. It makes me that much more grateful to have him still on this earth. The phrase "families can be together forever" really does bring peace and comfort. I am just so grateful for wonderful grandparents who love me still despite the physical estate they currently are in. It really does make me want to be that much more worthy to be in Heavenly Fathers presence, so that I really can be together with them again and forever! Life is precious and we have to work for eternal blessings.
It is really nice to have Grandpa's journal because I have something to pass on to my children about their great grandpa. Reading his journal tells me a lot about his wife, our dear mother and grandmother. It really does make a picture of them come to life and then I am able to feel their love and spirit. I even remember him writing in this journal. The memory of him writing in it really brought me to tears the day Uncle Todd sent it to us. It came on a day that I just wanted to speak with them again. I meant to send a thank you card to them, but well I didn't and hopefully this makes up for it.
It is interesting with our current society on the issue of journal keeping. For me the internet and this blogging is a way for me to write down my life it is my journal. I bet it is the same way for others as well. So enjoy this entry. These are my thoughts and feelings about Grandpa Reimer.
I just miss him so much. Like Emma he was one of my biggest heroes. I remembering thinking not too long ago that I didn't want to know what life was like without them. Today I am still amazed that that day came along and I am feeling that feeling I always dreaded.
I know at least a million times he had me raise my arm to the square and repeat after him something very similar to "I Heidi Braman swear never to hit my sister again and IF I do I will say that I am sorry AND give her a hug AFTER I return her shirt!" Of course it always takes two to fight and so whoever was involved had to repeat something similar. Do know that a hug was involved each time. If we didn't stop doing whatever it was we were doing he threatened to box our ears like his mother did once. It sounds crazy but I wanted him to box my ears. I never could figure that one out! Raising arms to the square is something I will probably do again when I am parent. I also remember him saying "If your mother says "jump off a bridge! what are you going to do? JUMP!" Whenever he was trying to get a point like this across, or even a story he would say "note and conclusion."
Good advice that he said was "Know it and know that you know it!" Really what else matters if you know it. He believed the most important lessons to learn is responsibility, obedience to parents, honesty, work, and being true. He knew these things and he knew that he knew it. So note: He was a man of God. Conclusion: I can't wait to see him again and I miss him a lot!

1 comment:

Emma said...

Hey,
How was your Easter? Mom says that you guys are moving to TN? That is wonderful! When is the big move?