
Remember when we were teenagers waiting for the bus in the windy city of Leeds? I remember walking to bus with of course freshly clean shaven legs, so I could impress my crush later that day. I remember being disappointed on those cold mornings cuz that meant my leg hairs were instantly growing. Which is true in another way.
This semester I learned that this theory was partially incorrect and here is why. I will try to make it simple. There is a muscle called arrector pili. This little muscle is connected to each hair follicle. When it is cold this muscle contracts and as a result the hair stands stands up. So this is why we get goose bumps.
Hair grows through a process of cell division. Cell division is pretty self explanatory: basically cells divide and grow. The cells at the base of the follicle are nourished by blood vessels and as they divide and grow the older cells are pushed toward the surface. As they are pushed away they begin to die and harden. This hardening process is known as keratinization. So your hair is nothing but dead cells. It is still in the process of growing the moment I shave it off !! Hair is always growing! It grows when it cold outside...when it hot....when I want to impress my current crush which is my husband!!
I bet you are now wondering about hair color because I was during lecture. It is really quite interesting. Genes determine the hair color by directing the type and amount of melanin pigment produced. IF there is an abundance of melanin, the hair is dark. IF there is an intermediate amount of pigment produced, the hair is blond. IF there is no melanin pigment produced, the hair is white! Now I know why on my head the reason I am starting to grow white hairs! amongst my Brown hairs!!
This semester I learned that this theory was partially incorrect and here is why. I will try to make it simple. There is a muscle called arrector pili. This little muscle is connected to each hair follicle. When it is cold this muscle contracts and as a result the hair stands stands up. So this is why we get goose bumps.
Hair grows through a process of cell division. Cell division is pretty self explanatory: basically cells divide and grow. The cells at the base of the follicle are nourished by blood vessels and as they divide and grow the older cells are pushed toward the surface. As they are pushed away they begin to die and harden. This hardening process is known as keratinization. So your hair is nothing but dead cells. It is still in the process of growing the moment I shave it off !! Hair is always growing! It grows when it cold outside...when it hot....when I want to impress my current crush which is my husband!!
I bet you are now wondering about hair color because I was during lecture. It is really quite interesting. Genes determine the hair color by directing the type and amount of melanin pigment produced. IF there is an abundance of melanin, the hair is dark. IF there is an intermediate amount of pigment produced, the hair is blond. IF there is no melanin pigment produced, the hair is white! Now I know why on my head the reason I am starting to grow white hairs! amongst my Brown hairs!!
5 comments:
Thanks for the lesson on hair. I just don't care anymore and only shave like once a week, maybe. That's if Kevin's lucky enough to get a wife who doesn't have hairy legs that day.
I totally remember waiting for the bus & freezing to death. I would go with wet hair & it would be frozen in strands before the bus would get there...very Bob Marley.
I only shave if I'm wearing a knee length skirt to church, even then I only shave up to my knees! Ahh..the good old days of Leeds. Those were good times eh?
Great hair lesson! I have heard about when you are cold it grows, but my aunt who is a beautician says that is not true. Anyway, I am with Emma, but I just shaved my legs for the first time since before I had Raylie! Luckily my hair has no pigment so you can't hardly tell. I am glad to be away from the windy days waiting for the bus!
You are all lucky your husbands still get close. I can't just shave up to my knees without hearing about it from him. I only get away with it if I am sick!
Post a Comment